Sunday, October 2, 2011

What Lies Behind Our Eyes

Assignment: Dream
I hadn't had a dream in a couple months until the night we were assigned to which I thought was going to be impossible. I tried to find "The Fall" on Netflix, thinking if I watched something mythological it would spark something up in my mind to get creative. I couldn't find the same one we had talked about in class but I picked a movie with the same title. It ended up being pretty dramatic and exactly what I needed! Simultaneous to this movie experience, I was reading over chapter 4 in Cadmus & Harmony and one section actually struck my interest!

"When the phantom, the mental image, takes over our minds, when it begins to join with other similar or alien figures, then little by little it fills the whole space of the mind in an ever more detailed and ever richer concatenation. What initially presented itself as the prodigy of appearance, cut off from everything, is now linked, from one phantom to another, to everything. At one extreme of the mental image lies our amazement at form, at its self-sufficient and sovereign existence. At the other lies our amazement at the chain of connections that reproduce in the mind the necessity of the material world."

I feel I had to let the mental images of "The Fall" consume my mind until the moment I fell into a deep slumber. This movie was filled with scenes of murder, rape, creepy sexual fantasies/ fetishes, affairs between lovers, abduction of a child, stalking, and hysteria. As she was being followed, I felt she was worrying about Zeus overseeing her in bed, or of her father kidnapping her child.

I dreamt of murder, of running as fast as I could to get home, to be safe, and home turned out to be the worst place to turn. Images of my own father trying to hunt me down with another mans voice. I woke up in a cold sweat to say the least, the movie did its job and I completed my assignment.

No comments:

Post a Comment